Wednesday 26 June 2013

Brightening up the garden...

How does your garden grow? drawing

I thought I would share with you some of my bargain finds from B&M to brighten up the garden. As I'm not exactly a keen gardener, and often forget to water plants, I wanted a couple of low maintenance items to start to get my garden summer ready! You can't get anymore low maintenance than these. I bought fake flowers that came in plastic plant pots at £2.99 each and put these into the bright blue tins. I am also loving these bright pink flower solar powered lights. (just £3.99)

Brightening up the garden B&M

For those warm, summer's evenings sat on the patio furniture with a (non-alcoholic) Shandy in hand, I bought some pretty little lanterns to cast a nice shimmery light over proceedings.

Lantern B&M

I was debating whether to buy some plastic bunting that can stay outside. I've got lots of fabric bunting, but thought it would be nice to have something I don't have to fetch back in. I'm still not sure if plastic bunting is a bit tacky (says the girl with fake flowers and bright pink fairy lights in her garden!) I think its because it reminds me of a used car dealer's forecourt. What do you think about plastic bunting? I'm sure some Cath Kidston oilcloth bunting would make a great addition though? 

Cath Kidston bunting
Cath Kidston oilcloth bunting on eBay.
I've also been doing some doodles on stones. I get a little frisson of guilty pleasure, when I draw on something other than paper. When I was a little girl, I would draw on everything - furniture, walls, books, anything I could get my hands on. My mum would give me a sponge and some soapy water and make me clean it off as punishment. On one occasion I had drawn on my bedroom wall, and was marched upstairs with sponge in hand and told I wasn't allowed to come down until I had cleaned it off. (I know what you are thinking - a modern day Cinderella story!) My mum was quite surprised when she came up to see her little girl had scrubbed her way through five layers of paint to show every colour that room had ever been. Unfortunately, I no longer possess this vigour when cleaning. When  I saw some decorated stones on Pinterest, it brought back memories of drawing on stones and doing chalk designs on the road a la Tour de France, so I grabbed some from my garden and had a go. I've done these with Pebeo porcelaine marker (fine). Maybe next week chalk art on our street.. I'm sure my neighbours would be thrilled!

Doodles on stones.

Kids would love to do this. Pick some up from the beach and get them to decorate with pictures of their seaside trip. I also think these would make a cheap but pretty wedding favour. You could decorate them with a quote, simple picture or your wedding date.

Is your garden ready for summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment